Desmond J. Higham and Nicholas J. Higham
The MATLAB Guide Website
"MATLAB Guide is an excellent reference book for MATLAB programming. This new version of MATLAB Guide contains material on important changes introduced in MATLAB 7, including single precision arithmetic and anonymous and nested functions. The new edition also contains many more examples; readers will have the advantage of learning MATLAB by essentially looking over the shoulder of two experts. This is a book that all users, new and experienced, will find valuable."
--James Nagy, Associate Professor of Mathematics and Computer Science, Emory University.
Find out what readers have been saying about the book.
MATLAB is an interactive system for numerical computation that is widely used for teaching and research in industry and academia. It provides a modern programming language and problem solving environment, with powerful data structures, customizable graphics, and easy-to-use editing and debugging tools.
This second edition of MATLAB Guide completely revises and updates the best-selling first edition and is more than 30% longer. The book remains a lively, concise introduction to the most popular and important features of MATLAB and the Symbolic Math Toolbox.
Key features of the second edition include:
- Aimed at both beginners and more experienced users, including students, researchers, and practitioners.
- A tutorial in Chapter 1 gives a hands-on overview of MATLAB.
- Thorough treatment of MATLAB mathematics, including the linear algebra and numerical analysis functions and the differential equation solvers.
- A new chapter, Case Studies, presents more substantial examples of the use of MATLAB in a variety of modern applications.
- A new appendix lists the 111 most useful MATLAB functions.
- Describes MATLAB 7, but can also be used with earlier versions.
- A Web page for the book that provides example M-files, updates, and links to MATLAB resources.
List of Figures; List of Tables; List of M-Files; Preface; Chapter 1: A Brief Tutorial; Chapter 2: Basics; Chapter 3: Distinctive Features of MATLAB; Chapter 4: Arithmetic; Chapter 5: Matrices; Chapter 6: Operators and Flow Control; Chapter 7: M-Files; Chapter 8: Graphics; Chapter 9: Linear Algebra; Chapter 10: More on Functions; Chapter 11: Numerical Methods: Part I; Chapter 12: Numerical Methods: Part II; Chapter 13: Input and Output; Chapter 14: Troubleshooting; Chapter 15: Sparse Matrices; Chapter 16: Further M-Files; Chapter 17: Handle Graphics; Chapter 18: Other Data Types and Multidimensional Arrays; Chapter 19: The Symbolic Math Toolbox; Chapter 20: Optimizing M-Files; Chapter 21: Tricks and Tips; Chapter 22: Case Studies; Appendix A: The Top 111 MATLAB Functions; Appendix B: Changes in MATLAB; Appendix C: Resources; Glossary; Bibliography; Index
See Sample Chapter:
To request an examination copy or desk copy of this book, please use our online request form at www.siam.org/catalog/adopt.php.
2005 / xxiv + 382 pages / Hardcover / ISBN-13: 978-0-898715-78-1 / ISBN-10: 0-89871-578-4 /
List Price $54.50 / SIAM Member Price $38.15 / Order Code OT92