Lloyd N. Trefethen
Other Titles is Applied Mathematics 128
Approximation Theory and Approximation Practice is a textbook on classical polynomial and rational approximation theory for the twenty-first century. It is aimed at advanced undergraduates and graduate students across all of applied mathematics.
This book differs fundamentally from other works on approximation theory:
• The emphasis is on topics close to numerical algorithms.
• Everything is illustrated with Chebfun.
• Each chapter is a PUBLISHable Matlab M-file, available online.
• The emphasis is on theorems and methods for analytic functions, which appear so often in applications, rather than on functions at the edge of discontinuity with their seductive theoretical challenges.
• Original sources are cited rather than textbooks, and each item in the bibliography is accompanied by an editorial comment.
Nick Trefethen is Professor of Numerical Analysis at Oxford University and a Fellow of the Royal Society. During 2011–2012 he served as President of SIAM.
M-files and errata
To request an examination copy or desk copy of this book, please use our online request form at www.siam.org/catalog/adopt.php.
approximation theory, numerical analysis, Chebfun, quadrature, spectral methods
2013 / viii + 305 pages / Softcover / ISBN 978-1-611972-39-9
List Price $49.00 / SIAM Member Price $34.30 / Order Code OT128