Lloyd N. Trefethen
Other Titles is Applied Mathematics 128
Approximation Theory and Approximation Practice is a textbook on classical polynomial and rational approximation theory for the twenty-first century. It is aimed at advanced undergraduates and graduate students across all of applied mathematics.
This book differs fundamentally from other works on approximation theory:
• The emphasis is on topics close to numerical algorithms.
• Everything is illustrated with Chebfun.
• Each chapter is a PUBLISHable Matlab M-file, available online.
• The emphasis is on theorems and methods for analytic functions, which appear so often in applications, rather than on functions at the edge of discontinuity with their seductive theoretical challenges.
• Original sources are cited rather than textbooks, and each item in the bibliography is accompanied by an editorial comment.
Nick Trefethen is Professor of Numerical Analysis at Oxford University and a Fellow of the Royal Society. During 2011–2012 he served as President of SIAM.
To request an examination copy or desk copy of this book, please use our online request form at www.siam.org/catalog/adopt.php.
approximation theory, numerical analysis, Chebfun, quadrature, spectral methods
2013 / viii + 305 pages / Softcover / ISBN 978-1-611972-39-9
List Price $49.00 / SIAM Member Price $34.30 / Order Code OT128